For emergencies on campus, dial (205) 348-5454. (It is much faster and more effective on campus than dialing 911.)
Do not hesitate to contact any of the deans after hours if, in your opinion, the issue at hand cannot wait until the next business day. The deans will ensure that you have their home and cell phone numbers in case of an emergency. If you do not have these, please contact them at once.
For situations such as those below, contact UAPD directly at (205) 348-5454, then call your dean.
- Death of a student or employee (on or off campus)
- Life threatening injury, illness, or impairment
- Alarming behavior, including suicidal or homicidal indications
- Sexual assault or rape
- Missing person
- Fire, explosion, or significant damage to University property
- Riot, campus disruption, or natural disaster
The Counseling Center, for mental health crises or concerns, can be contacted at (205) 348-3863.
If you have a concern about a student’s behavior or his or her mental health that does not seem to rise to the level of an immediate crisis, contact the Behavior Intervention Team (BIT) in the Dean of Students office, (205) 348-2461. After normal business hours, call UAPD at (205) 348-5454 and they will connect you with the On-Call Dean. Visit the Behavior Intervention Team’s page on the Student Life website for more information.
Other emergency contact information, including Counseling Center info, can be found on the University’s general Contact UA page.
Administrative/Judicial Procedural Concerns
Dean of Students Office during business hours: (205) 348-3326
After hours, call the Dean of Students’ On-Call Dean through the UAPD at (205) 348-5454 This campus-wide On-Call Dean Program, which runs from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. daily, is an after-hours program staffed by the University’s Division of Student Affairs (not by Deans); it provides students and their families with support and assistance in times of trauma and distress. The after-hours Dean of Students On-Call Dean, who is contacted by the University of Alabama Police Department (205-348-5454), initiates professional and personal support for students in crisis by coordinating services for the student(s) with other University offices. In addition, the On-Call Dean interacts, when needed, with community agencies such as local hospitals and the Tuscaloosa Police Department.
Emergency Maintenance Requests
Emergency Maintenance Request call center: 1-800-284-2504
Calls for emergency maintenance work received after normal business hours are answered through a call center. After hours is defined as 5:00 p.m.–7:00a.m., Monday through Friday, and any time during the weekend. Once a call is received, the call center will notify the appropriate service personnel.
Other Local Resources
- Access Control: 205-348-9494
- Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office: 205-348-7007
- Capstone International Academic Programs: 205-348-5256
- DCH Emergency Room: 205-759-7111
- Dean of Students (during work hours): 205-348-3326
- Emergency Maintenance Requests: 1-800-284-2504
- Housing and Residential Communities: 205-348-6676
- Minority Student Help – Crossroads: 205-348-6930
- Off-Campus Emergency: 911
- Office of Disability Services: 205-348-4285
- Office of Parent Programs: 205-348-8404
- Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs: 205-348-6010
- Parent Helpline: 1-800-392-2777
- Safe Zone – LGBTQ Help: 205-348-7297
- Tuscaloosa Police Department: 205-349-2121
- UA Counseling Center: 205-348-3863
- UA Medical Center: 205-348-1770
- UA Police Department: 205-348-5454
- UA Student Health Services: 205-348-6262
- Women’s Resource Center: 205-348-5040